I Do My Best Work In Hospitals

It's 2 AM, and I've had no more than a brief late afternoon nap in the past two days. I would like to say that this is a function of the manic excitement I'm experiencing due to the fantastic opportunity I've received from Drag the Bar. In addition to joining a top flight group of coaches, as the first Limit Hold'em coach on Drag the Bar, I have the chance to design an entire curriculum. The excitement is real and it is manic. But it is not the reason I haven't slept.

I typically go to sleep around 6 AM. But today (yesterday? last night?), I left my apartment at 6 AM for the hospital. My girlfriend's father was having heart surgery. He speaks almost no English, so she was there as a translator. I was there for moral support.

There's not a whole lot to do in a hospital when you're not sick. I brought the pages for the first section of my poker book. I tried to edit them, but my critical brain does not function well at that hour. However, sleep deprivation brings out my manic creativity. So I spent the better part of eight hours mapping out a 40+ video course while my girlfriend talked to doctors, nurses, administrators, and her father. It was a long stressful day. But his surgery was successful and he's recovering now.

The last time I spent significant hours at a hospital was for a more morbid reason, and I had poker pages with me then as well. Having something discrete to ponder can draw focus away from your concerns. And the best way to get things done is sometimes to find something worse to avoid.

This blog may be a bit of a downer considering that half of it is about excellent news that I'm thrilled about. But the good comes with the bad. That's just life.

No comments:

Post a Comment